Build the Future–We Are Building
Yoga Centre Toronto, an Ontario Not-for-Profit Charitable Organization, has been located at 2428 Yonge Street since 1972, providing yoga classes, workshops and particularly therapeutic classes to the community at large. We serve about 500-600 students per week in Ward 16.
Unfortunately, last year, we were informed that the premises that we have rented in good standing for over forty years, are being torn down for a condominium development.
We are being displaced and have had to look for an alternative home to rent and continue our not-for-profit activities. In addition to being a not-for-profit Charitable Organization, Yoga Centre Toronto’s Iyengar Yoga Teacher Training Program, is recognized by the Ontario Ministry of Training Colleges and Universities, training yoga teachers in a comprehensive three year teacher training program. We also provide required continuing education to our Certified teachers.
With respect to our students, we provide a bursary to students in need, specifically to students suffering from health issues that preclude them from working. Some examples of the therapeutic classes that we offer include Cardiac Class, Special Needs, Special Practices, Yoga for Seniors/MS and Back Care. Our bursary funds of $50,000 are raised annually from the generosity of our yoga students through an annual giving campaign entitled Access to Yoga. No student in need is denied a bursary.
Since most of our yoga students are coming from the immediate neighbourhood, we are fortunate to have existed for so long, all based on personal referral.
Our serious concern is that this move, forced upon us by the re-development of the building, will cause us to lose the opportunity to provide our students and the community at large with access to Iyengar Yoga, a system dedicated to safe and structured teaching.
Over the past 46 years, we have substantially improved Yoga Centre Toronto through a number of leasehold improvements. As a result of the upcoming displacement, we will now have to secure and renovate a space to match our existing space. We are currently renting approximately 4000 square feet of space. We have secured an exciting new space in the same area. Our initial estimate is that the move and a subsequent build will cost $200,000.
Yoga Centre Toronto is a not for profit charitable organization.
Charitable Number: 12327-2023 RR0001
We are currently fundraising for our “Build The Future” of Iyengar Yoga campaign.
If you wish to donate to our campaign, contact us by phone at 416-482-1334 to pay with credit card. You may also send an E-Transfer to email@example.com, password: accesstoyoga (lc).
Checks can be mailed to the address above and made payable to Yoga Centre Toronto with “Build The Future” in the memo.
Access to Yoga Fund 2018
LIGHT ON THE FUTURE OF IYENGAR YOGA
- 1937 BKS Iyengar given permission by his teacher to teach
- 1966 Light on Yoga by BKS Iyengar first published
- 1972 Yoga Centre Toronto established as a multi-disciplined Yoga Centre
- 1975 Ramamani Iyengar Memorial Yoga Institute opened in Pune India
- 1988 Yoga Centre Toronto established as an Iyengar Yoga Centre
- 1990 Yoga Centre first offered a therapeutic class for six Iyengar students
- 1995 Access to Yoga Fund established
- 1997 Yoga Centre Toronto’s first teacher received International Iyengar Yoga Certification, awarded directly by BKS Iyengar
- 1997 Yoga Centre Toronto began to train Iyengar Yoga Teachers for National Certification
- 1998 Canada began the process of National/International Iyengar Yoga Teacher Certification
- 2004 BKS Iyengar chosen by Time Magazine as one on the 100 people who most changed the world
- 2008 BKS Iyengar’s 90th Birthday, 5 million Iyengar students worldwide
- 2014 BKS Iyengar’s death, Geeta and Prashant Iyengar carry on his legacy
- 2015 Yoga Centre Toronto has supported over 70 Iyengar Yoga teachers to various levels of National/International Certification
- 2015 Yoga Centre Toronto taught over 2000 Iyengar students during the year
- 2015 Yoga Centre served over 150 Iyengar students in therapeutic classes during the year
- 2015 Access to Yoga Fund awarded more than $50,000.00 to Iyengar students requiring bursaries
- THE FUTURE……………………………………………………
Dear Friends of Yoga Centre Toronto:
Once again I write you on behalf of The Access to Yoga Fund. We are looking to the future…, the future of Iyengar Yoga and the future of our work at Yoga Centre Toronto.
As you can see above, Iyengar Yoga and Yoga Centre Toronto have grown exponentially over the years. Not only in the teaching of Yoga Classes but in the building of community and the training of certified Iyengar Yoga teachers but also in serving the wider Toronto area in the work of Iyengar Yoga Therapeutics.
So many of the students in our Therapeutic classes lead a much compromised life. Without the ongoing support of the Access to Yoga Fund, these students would be unable to experience the benefit of these classes.
The Access to Yoga Fund also supports many seniors, children and students during their university years, when again, the benefit of Yoga classes enhances their lives.
Our goal this year is to raise $55,000.00.
Donations can be mailed in, phoned in or paid in person through the front desk at YCT. As a not-for-profit organization we are always grateful to receive payment in cash or cheque as this allows us to avoid service and administration costs. Your generous donation will be eligible for a tax receipt.
Thank you for your continued support. Your contribution will support the future of Iyengar Yoga in Toronto.
President, Senior Teacher
Yoga Centre Toronto has been a designated a Not-for Profit Charitable
Organization since 1972. Based on this status, YCT initiates an annual
fund-raising campaign which allows us to award a limited number of bursaries
on an individual, as-need basis. A formal application procedure is
required regarding these bursaries. Please ask the front desk staff for more information.
To make a donation by VISA, please call 416 482 1334, or send your cheque to:
Access to Yoga Fund
Yoga Centre Toronto
2428 Yonge Street
A tax receipt will be issued.
Please note, at this time we are unable to process donations through our website. Please call us, and we will process your donation over the phone.
You can also make your donation through the United Way Campaign. Just follow this link to the donation form. Fill out your personal information and then scroll to the bottom of the form and put Yoga Centre Toronto in the box entitled “My company/organization is”.